Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Safely Tucked in the Middle


When I was in high school I went with a group of friends to one of the haunted houses in downtown Evansville.  The one with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre weirdo chasing all of the screaming teens out of the building with his very real looking blood-dripping chainsaw.  I broke my tailbone while inside.  Yup, sure did, but no - I can not tell you what happened.  No clue.  It took talent I'm sure.  I never was a huge fan of paying money to go into a place that scared the pants off of you, but unfortunately that is what you did in high school in October.  If you've ever had the pleasure to do this too, then you understand that being in the middle of your group is where you want to be.  You don't want to go first and you don't want to go last.  And you certainly don't want to be alone.  Being safely tucked in the middle shelters you from most of the grabbing limbs and the sudden scares.  Eek...I get a jumpy feeling just thinking about it!!  

I read this scripture passage this week: 

O Lord, you have examined my heart
    and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
    You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
    and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too great for me to understand!
Psalm 139:1-6 (Emphasis mine)

He goes before you and He follows you.  Being in a haunted house is definitely not the only time in life that you really want someone to go first and test out the waters or follow behind you so no one can jump out and grab you.  He is our Leader, our Protection and our Shield.  And it is too wonderful for us, to great for us to understand that He can do all of that!  He also places His hand of blessing on our heads.  Not only is He in front of us and behind us, but He is placing His hand on our heads (which we all know our minds need a little blessing!!)  With the Holy Spirit living inside of us as well...I think we're pretty covered!  He is so present, so with us...IF we allow Him to be.

If you are scared - run to Jesus.  "The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to Him and are safe."  Proverbs 18:10 (Emphasis mine)   Just like when you played tag - run with all your might to 'base' so that you are safe and no one can tag you and call you it.  Just like when you played baseball and hit the ball flying - run with all your might, heart-thumping, to first base so that you are safe and hear the umpire yell 'Safe!.'  Run to Jesus and His loving refuge.  Don't live your life scared because of what is looming ahead of you, what is creeping behind you, what is going on in your mind, or whether you might be called 'out.'  He is available to those who ask.  And as the above verses point out, He already knows everything about you - so don't be afraid of what He will think.  He knows you and He loves you.  Get on base and snuggle up and rest.  "He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection."  Psalm 91:4

No comments:

Post a Comment